By Sandbagger
By welshwitch63
MR Cropper, I think I am being quite clear. There are children who walk to and from school unsupervised. There are parents who work. How are you personally going to enforce that all students of Parkside Elementary arrive to and from school safely? Oh that's right, you want to blame the parents, too bad for the children.

I nominate you for the Parent Czar. I am saying AGAIN It is the Chief's job to provide crossing guard coverage, he makes the schedule, they report to him. It is the Chief's job to find substitues when their is an outage. This is not rocket science. The Chief reports to the Mayor, the Mayor is part of Council. If their are no substitutes available then as unpleasant as it may be the Chief Himself has to cover .

The Boro and The school district continually pass the buck when there is an outage. There will be children walking to and from school alone and a crossing guard should be there as agreed upon between the school district and the Boro. Plain. Simple.
Maybe , Mr Cropper you agree with the Chief that a kindergarten child is capable of crossing the street alone since they should be taught to cross the street safely and there will not always be crossing guards in life.
By newbee
why don't you "Volunteer" Mrs. Burke to help with the school crossing issue, that way you wouldn't have anything to complain about on that subject. Actually I will venture to guess you are a stay at home Mother as you have never indicated that you work outside of the home. You certainly would have time to do that, barring of course that you stay off this site more often. You refused to volunteer to beautify the avenue, so how about volunteering with the school crossing? gee, you could actually contact the Chief, via phone or in person and talk to an adult on a one to one basis. Doing something positive is not a bad thing. Food for thought: Those that complain the loudest do the least......volunteer somewhere to help our community is worthwhile in the long run.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on folks
By Sandbagger
By Spring7012
I'm still unclear on all of the requirements of the Megan's Law but isn't the local police department required to notify residents when an individual like this lives in your area?
By JuneCarter
Community notification can take place ONLY in two circumstances:

In cases where the convicted sex offender is determined by a court to be a Sexually Violent Predator
When an out-of-state offender is required to submit to community notification in their state of origin, regardless of whether or not the offender is classified as a sexually violent predator.

The Pennsylvania State Police will provide community notification flyers to the police departments having primary jurisdiction over the municipalities where the sexually violent predator/out-of-state offender resides. Included with the community notification flyers are instructions for the police departments on how to perform community notification.

The community notification flyers contain the following information:

The name of the Sexually Violent Predator/Out-of-State Offender
The address or addresses in which he resides
The offense for which he was convicted
A statement that he has been determined by court order to be a Sexually Violent Predator or a statement that the Out-of-State Offender is subject to community notification by his state of origin.
A photograph of the Sexually Violent Predator/Out-of-State Offender, if available.
NOTE: The community notification flyers WILL NOT include any information that might reveal the victim's name, identity, and residence.

The chief law enforcement officer of the police department of the municipality where a sexually violent predator or out-of-state offender resides is responsible for community notification. The officer is required to make community notification to the following persons: Neighbors of the Sexually Violent Predator/Out-of-State Offender
The director of the county children and youth service agency of the county where the sexually violent predator/out-of-state offender resides
The superintendent of each school district and the equivalent official for private and parochial schools enrolling students through grade 12 in the municipality where the sexually violent predator/out-of-state offender resides
The superintendent of each school district and the equivalent official for each private and parochial school located within a one-mile radius of where the sexually violent predator/out-of-state offender resides
The licensee of each certified day care center and licensed preschool program and owner/operator of each registered family day-care home in the municipality where the sexually violent predator/out-of-state offender resides
The president of each college, university, and community college located within 1,000 feet of a sexually violent predator's or out-of-state offender's residence.
Victim Notification

Victims of Sexually Violent Predators

Where an individual is determined to be a Sexually Violent Predator by a court, the police department of the municipality where the Sexually Violent Predator resides shall give written notice to the victim of the Sexually Violent Predator within 72 hours after the Sexually Violent Predator registers or notifies the Pennsylvania State Police of a change of address. The notice shall contain the Sexually Violent Predator's name and the address or addresses where he resides.
The victim may terminate the notification by providing the police department of the municipality where the Sexually Violent Predator resides with a written statement releasing that department from the duty to notify. The victim can reinstate the duty to notify if they so desire. The request to reinstate notification shall be made in writing to the Pennsylvania State Police, Megan's Law Section.
Victims of Sex Offenders

Where an individual is not determined to be a Sexually Violent Predator by a court, the victim will be notified in accordance with section 201 of the Act of November 24, 1998 (P.L. 882, No. 111), known as the Crime Victim's Act.

1 A "Sexually Violent Predator" is a person who has been convicted of a sexually violent offense as set forth in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9795.1 (relating to registration) and who is determined to be a sexually violent predator under 42 Pa.C.S. § 9795.4 (relating to assessments) due to a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes the person likely to engage in predatory sexually violent offenses. The term includes an individual determined to be a sexually violent predator where the determination occurred in the United States or one of its territories or possessions, another state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a foreign nation or by court martial. 42 Pa.C.S. § 9792.

2 An offender is an individual required to register under 42 Pa.C.S. § 9795.1(a), (b)(1) or (2)(relating to registration). 42 Pa.C.S. § 9792.

http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/Noti ... MNHKNEJ4Ua
By danno
Ok so for all of you who take this lightly I have a question for you. I now live down the street from someone who is registered on Roland road as a SEXUALLY VIOLENT PREDATOR. I have small children and I am one who does not take this lightly. Why is it that a person that has commited a VIOLENT act such as RAPE can move into an area where children walk and wait for a bus directly in front of his house? Ladies and gentlemen please take the time and check the meghan's law website.
By c_yatsuk
Sir/Ma'am

Are you asking us to take a look at the website or are you asking the question yourself? If you're asking, I highly suggest you call the PA State Trooper (the closest HQ are located on Rt. 1 in Media/Lima). I called sometime in the summer and spoke to an Officer Hu (???), not positive on his last name. The officer I spoke to is the units "go to" on anything regarding Megan's Law.

I do not have any kids, but I do agree... that individual should not be this close to a school. I hope my suggestion helps.

Take care, good luck and Happy Holidays.

Chris
By pagirl
I live on the same block and I no longer feel safe I have small children and I don't understand how this could happen. I am happy the police came around and explained everything but I was told there was nothing I could do :( What about the bus stops and the kids walking from PAMD ???? I am very upset that a SEXUALLY VIOLENT PREDATOR can just move right on in and nothing can be done :(