By Stinky Pete
Here's the first amendment for you. Read up!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
By JuneCarter
Can I pretend to be Christine O'Donnell so we can banter?

Chris O'D response: So like, it's like TOTALLY okay, like I am into Wicca? Like in, um, Cutter v. Wilkinson, 544 U.S. 709 (2005).
Crap. I could have like totally used that one the other night. Like, *O.M.K.!!!

*O.M.K. = Oh My Krishna
By Bill19014
I've been trying to get a look at an actual transcript, but apparently it's too soon. According to one article I read, later in the debate she asked her opponent to name the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, and he only got one. First, I'd like to see if she actually said "five freedoms", which would indicate that she has some idea what she's talking about. Second, I'd really like to know which one he named. Since they were talking about freedom of religion, then it would have been pretty sad if he didn't get that right, but I would have at least hoped he would have gotten freedom of speech.

At this point, it looks like the good people of Delaware are in trouble one way or another.
By norton
"Separation of church and state is not in the Constitution."
The amendment in question was only to stop the government from establishing a certain religious denomination or group as being the "State Church". The reason for this was this was the norm in Europe at the time and this was a concern to Biblical Christians in this land. It never was construed as an outlawing of the Bible or God in the public sector only a protection of churches and Christians in the new land.
This amendment was never added to prohibit the Bible being read in public schools or having prayer offered in same place. We did both when I was in public elementary school.
-------------------------------------------------
"Blessed is the nation who's God is the Lord"
By paesano
norton wrote:"Separation of church and state is not in the Constitution."
The amendment in question was only to stop the government from establishing a certain religious denomination or group as being the "State Church". The reason for this was this was the norm in Europe at the time and this was a concern to Biblical Christians in this land. It never was construed as an outlawing of the Bible or God in the public sector only a protection of churches and Christians in the new land.
This amendment was never added to prohibit the Bible being read in public schools or having prayer offered in same place. We did both when I was in public elementary school.

Well said!
By ElephantInTheRoom
JuneCarter wrote:Can I pretend to be Christine O'Donnell so we can banter?

Chris O'D response: So like, it's like TOTALLY okay, like I am into Wicca? Like in, um, Cutter v. Wilkinson, 544 U.S. 709 (2005).
Crap. I could have like totally used that one the other night. Like, *O.M.K.!!!

*O.M.K. = Oh My Krishna

June, what is this all about? Now all of the sudden you want to start some banter? Were you not the following person who made the following complaint?

"This forum is going down like the Hindenburg. The Don't Tread On Me crowd is stomping all over every thread anyone starts that doesn't have to do with politics.

To that crowd, did it ever occur to you that some folks just don't give two --censor-- about politics? I can see starting one or two threads and keeping them going but you guy(s) are spamming the board. Somebody needs to put the whammy on these posters, otherwise I don't think a lot of regular posters are gonna come back after this."

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16343&p=321760&hilit=politics+forum#p321760

So June, if your friend Stinky Pete wants to start up some political "stomping"; it's not "spamming the board"?

Also, how about you Jason747? Were you not the one who complained?

"Almost every thread is a right wing political topic."
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16334&hilit=national+politics

See, it's perfectly OK for the Aston clique (or should I say the "Grass Roots Petition Busy Bodies) to use this forum over the years for all the political spam they want. Until they get a good counter argument, then they get all bent out of shape.
By ElephantInTheRoom
paesano wrote:
norton wrote:"Separation of church and state is not in the Constitution."

Well said!

I agree! Well said!