By Sandbagger
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
The Heron's Nest: Blogging with the Editor: A stunner in Penn-Delco
By Phil Heron

Keith Crego has not been president of the Penn-Delco School Board since last December.

But the shroud he placed on the troubled district continues to grow, as does the body count of those caught in the tentacles of what he did to the district.

Under his leadership, school board members seemed to come and go every couple of weeks. Many believe people got positions on the board not necessarily because of their expertise or what they could offer the district, but because of their ties to Crego.

The board became something of a revolving door.

Monday the door opened once again, and this time it took another significant toll on the district.

Superintendent Leslye Abrutyn is exiting as schools’ boss, apparently tired of the soap opera that has surrounded the district and school board since Crego cast his spell on the surroundings.

It is almost unfathomable that someone so bright, so gifted, with so much to offer a school district could become just another victim of Keith Crego.

Abrutyn had been superintendent in Penn-Delco for the past decade. Her era was marked by fiscal prudence and increasing test scores.

Then Keith Crego rose to power as the leader of the Penn-Delco School Board.

Now Crego, and to some degree Abrutyn since she was the CEO of the district, find themselves at the center of an investigation into the district’s connection with Quick Start Preschools, a private day-care provider that was brought on board in 2005.

At the time, the service was being provided by the Rocky Run YMCA. The change to Quick Start, without a bidding process, raised a few eyebrows.

Now it is being looked at by county detectives. Both Crego and Abrutyn received subpoenas to appear before a county investigative grand jury.

Abrutyn is believed to have talked to investigators, but did not appear before the grand jury.

The district’s solicitor has indicated he does not believe the probe is targeting any current board members or school district employees.

Make no mistake. We have not heard the last of Quick Start, nor Keith Crego. Nor, I guess, Leslye Abrutyn.

After all, the new wing at Sun Valley High School carries her name, “The Dr. Leslye S. Abrutyn Wing of Education.”

It remains to be seen whether the district will mull a change of the name, much as it did with the Keith Crego Conference Center, where they hold their meetings.

I will admit that some of the stories you hear about what was going on in the district, and among some board members, is hard to believe.

It would be hard to believe among anyone in the district. Then you remind yourself that these were school board members.

Apparently Abrutyn, who is caring for her ailing mother and whose husband died of a heart attack last February, has tired of being under the microscope.

She can thank Keith Crego, in large part, for putting her there. And also herself, for not putting her foot down and putting an end to the shenanigans long before they reached the point they have now.
By Mastodon
Abrutyn is believed to have talked to investigators, but did not appear before the grand jury.

A grand jury, in theory, is comprised of one's peers. If she were subpoenaed to appear before us at say, 'Big Al's,' I may find it in my heart to offer clemency. If she puts her heart in her performance, she could theoretically leave with an impressive severance package...albeit in dollar bills. :wink:
By Northernbound
:shock: Whoa....she gets CAR INSURANCE :?: :!: Now, I'm impressed :lol:
By Stinky Pete
I'm making up "Rachel for School Board" signs in my basement this morning! :lol:

2cats1dog wrote: Brookhaven resident Rachel Irvine agrees with Seitz and hopes the district can soon return to a sense of normalcy.

“I feel everything is now coming out that has been whispered about around town for over a year,” said Irvine. “It is a shame that the situation was permitted to get this far. I give Aston resident Janice Fromal all the credit in the world for speaking out and bringing this out in the open. I hope the school board appoints any future members in a non-political way. School board members should be appointed on their merit and honesty and willingness to do the right thing for the taxpayers and children.”
By ronnie
She gets paid $166,000 to sit on her [--removed--] and do nothing. I bust my [--removed--] day in and day out for $28,000. I sweat and use my muscles. This is ridiculous. How the heck can people make that much doing absolutley nothing while sitting behind a desk. This whole economy just isn't right. This gets to me.
By Stud Leee
Hey! When she comes to clean out her desk, someone slap the GoAston sign on her, and take her picture! June, we'll need you to stake out the administration building.
By ronnie
Thats just not fair. People who work for a living with their hands seem to be the ones who gets screwed with the compensation we recieve. We are the ones who should recieve all of that money. While people behind desks should be making what we make. All they do is type all day long. How freaking hard is that. Big whoop.
By rock
One word EDUCATION
By ronnie
That should have nothing to do with that. If someones good at what they do. Then they should be well compensated. Not by whether or not they go to college or a trade school.
Last edited by ronnie on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.