By janetb
Questions on Homestead Rebate:
1) Do we in Aston Township get a homestead rebate?
2) If so, what is the rebate and how is it applied?
3) Any idea how it's calculated? Such as, is it automatically deducted or applied to my property taxes?
4) If I was to rent my home out, and live elsewhere, do I lose that (assuming that it exists) ?
By eriknben10
Automatic deduction if you are enrolled.
Only applies to primary residence in PA.
The scam goes something like this. They raise the assessed value of your home like 50% then give you a 10% deduction on the assessed value of the home if owner occupied thereby making it look like they are trying to help you out.
Because Delaware County uses a complicated formula to determine the property tax owed on any individual property, it's not possible to condense it to a simple tax rate, like you could with an income or sales tax. The average theft is 5% of the owners income.
The money they say comes from gambling proceeds. I suppose after all the fat cats are paid they figure out how much is left in the kitty and disperse it among the eligible homeowners how they see fit.
They use averages and mediums to figure the rebates.
Statistics show that about 25% of homes in America are unfairly overassessed, and pay an average of $1,346 too much in property taxes every year.
Delaware County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 73rd of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes.
The bottom line is there is no formula for the rebate. They take what they want. Just like a thief, only it is legal.

If I want a rebate from my rentals I just raise the rent.
By Phaedrus
LOL. That's a pretty fanciful and cynical explanation eb. I'm going to say that is was not created as a scam to raise property taxes and leave it at that.