Stinky Pete wrote:
norton wrote: In reality, these Leftists have even destroyed this Forum as a Community conversation means.

So why are you still here?

He still hasn't explained what happened to Brookhaven and Parkside.
JuneCarter wrote:This liberal and conservative labeling is exactly why we just had the two worst candidates ever run for the most powerful position in the world.

I have hope though as I am seeing more from both parties starting dialogues, acknowledging differences but doing so in a civilized manner.

From the Democratic side, I happen to think that Hillary was a better candidate than Dukakis, McGovern, and Humphrey.

The major issues that we need to get past are abortion rights on the left and gun rights on the right. I will never vote Republican as long as a women's right to choose is on the table.
janetb liked this
JW wrote:Libs have an attitude of self righteousness that says we are so pure we are so morally superior that they can not stand to hear a difference of opinion. They shut down speaches by people they feel are they are too good to listen too, and protest every little word that comes close to hurting their feelings. They believe they are tolerant but their actions show otherwise. I'm happy to be what I am because I would hate going through life being upset by every day life.

I will agree that there are many liberals like that, and we are regrettably seeing them in academia, but I grew up in a world of conservative repression, often by use of force, of my right to protest. To say this only happens on the left is completely false. Official repression of leftist viewpoints by conservatives has a long and proud history. I would include the kind of local repression of unacceptable liberal views that remains in force today in small towns across America and are reflected in the posts of Norton. What do think it is like to live as an atheist homosexual in a town full of Nortons?
Phaedrus wrote:
JuneCarter wrote:This liberal and conservative labeling is exactly why we just had the two worst candidates ever run for the most powerful position in the world.

I have hope though as I am seeing more from both parties starting dialogues, acknowledging differences but doing so in a civilized manner.

From the Democratic side, I happen to think that Hillary was a better candidate than Dukakis, McGovern, and Humphrey.

The major issues that we need to get past are abortion rights on the left and gun rights on the right. I will never vote Republican as long as a women's right to choose is on the table.

A woman's right to chose was decided so long ago and Republicans need to step off. I am for enforcing time limits without exception .

Hold on to your seat because I am FOR putting the serious mental health impairment gun restrictions back in place.

I do agree with Hobby Lobby that you can't and shouldn't force an employer to provide birth control if it's a religious based objection.
JuneCarter wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:

A woman's right to chose was decided so long ago and Republicans need to step off. I am for enforcing time limits without exception .

Hold on to your seat because I am FOR putting the serious mental health impairment gun restrictions back in place.

I do agree with Hobby Lobby that you can't and shouldn't force an employer to provide birth control if it's a religious based objection.

With Hobby Lobby, I worry about the precedent of mixing religious protections with civil rights. For instance refusing to hire homosexuals because they are an abomination according to their religious text.

I was aware of your gun position. How about requiring people to purchase firearm liability insurance on each gun they own?

As for abortion time limits, what do you have in mind?
Nothing past 10 weeks.

Also I'd like to upgrade military spending to give veterans the same full insurance plans congress and senators receive. Either that or drop the politicians' health insurance to the VA. I bet it'll get fixed .

Increase in military and intelligence spending.

Retaining the strict immigration vetting.

Compromise on some of the EPA regulations.

Remove standardized testing and rate student progress.
Very few pro-choice people would consider 10 weeks to be a real negotiating position.

The conservatives have already shown themselves adept at putting up barriers that delay a choice, particularly if you have to raise the money.

Would you allow a woman easy access to same day abortion once she has confirmed pregnancy?
JuneCarter wrote:

Retaining the strict immigration vetting.

I'm not sure what this means. vetting is very different depending on the immigration category and country of origin. I'm more interested in over-hauling the process, making the categories more coherent with economic needs. I'm not big on family reunification as a category and, while the lottery system does introduce fairness, I think there still needs to be an economic points criteria as part of the lottery process.
I would allow easy access. When I say extreme vetting I mean vetting refugees for a long period.

If you're not here legally i'd do a brief amnesty period and if you don't register then you gots to go. Non negotiable.

See, Phae? We can run the country. I won't make you say Merry Christmas if you don't object to my saying it.

And no 15 dollar minimum wage. Learn a trade people!