By astontibs
Has anyone else almost been run into the curb making the right from Concord Rd onto Pennell? It seems the drivers going straight have no concept that someone may be making a right. I have had to lay on the horn two days in a row because drivers have come into my lane. This morning it was a school bus.
By Stinky Pete
I know what what you mean. When you're in the middle lane, you tend to go toward the right as you're crossing pennell, because of how the road goes.
By eriknben10
The round-a-bout will fix that. Shame with all the red tape it takes about ten years to get it built.
Phaedrus liked this
By Ryan
Which direction are you traveling? South on concord? right onto pennell rd south? So they jump out of the middle lane into the right turn lane and continue straight. It's because they can't see the (concord rd south )roadway on the other side of Pennell, they are not intentionally cutting you off, they are just making sure they do get into a head-on with traffic headed north on Concord rd. It actually requires them to shift right in the middle of the intersection as they cross, so they start before entering the intersection (and cut into the right turn lane). They need to paint a dashed line through the intersection so travelers going south on concord can see where they should be driving to properly navigate the intersection as they cross pennell road.

And you could stop trying to cut around them as you squeeze into the right turn lane. Just stay with the speed of traffic while you shift right then turn. Sounds like your frustration can be elevated with a little patience. :wink:
By JC
Yes, there should be a dotted line but Astontibs is right. Too many people cut you off. And so many people cut you off that the odds are many are people who are familiar with the intersection. Everyone should go straight a little longer before moving to the right. There is plenty of room in the intersection to get over later. If you don't drive defensively in the right lane, eventually you will be run into the curb.
When they first re-did that intersection a while back, they put a dotted line coming from the other direction. My thought even then was that the problem was recognized and someone was given directions to put in a dotted line and they put it on the wrong side. Coming from the other direction, I've never hit an issue.
By astontibs
Dotted line for the win.
To Ryan's point if there are 10 cars going straight and you are the only car coming up the right lane, it would be ridiculous to wait for the straight traffic. Plus it is fun to use your horn anyway :twisted:
By 50 plus
At least 10 years ago I know of an accident since I knew the person involved. They were going straight on Concord and a car hit them. The car was turning right. Insurance found the person I knew to be at fault even though they said the intersection itself was a mess.
By Ryan
astontibs wrote:Dotted line for the win.
To Ryan's point if there are 10 cars going straight and you are the only car coming up the right lane, it would be ridiculous to wait for the straight traffic. Plus it is fun to use your horn anyway :twisted:

Hold on. If they are lined up and you are forced to wait, then they are sitting at the light and you can safely use the right turning lane without issue. If they are moving or even just starting to move, you should just wait/yield and not be so impatient that you feel the need to "pass" them and you will have no issue. Until the roadway gets painted for clarification, you should be patient! Even then, if you are driving defensively, as you should, you should still consider that some drivers may ignore the road lines and so proceed in the right turn lane cautiously at the same speed as the straight traffic, just to be safe. Or you could continue to speed around town avoiding accidents with your horn.

Regarding the lines...if anyone who matters is actually reading this....
A dashed white line should be extended from the white line marking the right turning lane, across the intersection and to the right curb line in front for the memorial park. You might also add a dashed yellow line from the the left side of the straight lane , across to the double yellow on the other side. The left line should be yellow, the right one should be white. That will keep everyone going straight in their lane. They could also paint a BIG WHITE right turn arrow in the turn lane (if it's not already there) to discourage people from encroaching on that space.
By JC
Ryan wrote:... so proceed in the right turn lane cautiously at the same speed as the straight traffic, just to be safe. Or you could continue to speed around town avoiding accidents with your horn.

It is as you proceed at the same speed that you get cut off. If there is a line of cars and you proceed at the same speed as the line of cars, there is a very high probability of getting pushed towards the curb. I almost always have to brake at the spot where I'm being cut off. The next driver up can see you when you brake so they give you room. I'm probably not describing this well enough.
If you come up to the intersection and there is a long line going straight and they're stopped, you can pass in the right lane and even make your right if conditions are correct. No problems.
If you are in the right lane and can't make a right turn on red. Your odds of being cut off are extremely high.
I would hardly be called an aggressive driver by anyone. I get beeped at for stopping my car on yellow and being cautious in my right turns on red.