By Stinky Pete
This story is a little old. This man was deported, after living here for 20 years, running a business, raising a family, etc. The part that really gets me is that his wife voted for Trump! Seriously, how stupid can you be? You knew he wanted Mexicans out, and your husband is a Mexican here illegally!

The owner of a popular Granger restaurant, Roberto Beristain, has signed papers agreeing to be deported, possibly any day now.

His wife, Helen Beristain, said that Roberto told her in a brief call Thursday from an Illinois detention facility that he figures: “I’m going to do this the right way.”

Their story has drawn national attention — and threats and calls to Eddie’s Steak Shed — particularly since Helen has said she voted for President Donald Trump. Now, she says she regrets that vote.

“I wish I didn’t vote at all,” Helen Berestain said Friday. “I did it for the economy. We needed a change.”

She recalls that Roberto had complained, “He’s going to get rid of the Mexicans.”

But she countered with Trump’s words, that he would deport only the “bad hombres.”

The Beristains, she said, were all for deporting illegal immigrants who were criminals, bringing drugs or abusing the system, “but not to get rid of all the people. This is not what America is, the land of the free.”

“It’s regular people,” she said of who’s being deported. “It doesn’t mean they are bad. They need to draw a line.”

She also revealed that she, like her husband, had once been an illegal immigrant, though now she is a U.S. citizen. She is originally from Greece.

She said they will continue to try, as they have “many” times, to legally fix Roberto's immigration status.

Roberto Beristain, 43, who has lived in Mishawaka with Helen and three of their children, has been detained since Feb. 6 when he checked in, as he does every year, with officials from the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

He’s held a voluntary deportation order since 2000, after he and Helen inadvertently crossed the Canada border while visiting Niagra Falls, and agents discovered that he was in the U.S. illegally. Beristain, who is Mexican, opted to stay since he was concerned about, Helen, who had high blood pressure and was pregnant with their daughter.

By working with ICE agents, he was able to gain a work permit, driver's license and a Social Security number marked "Valid only with Department of Homeland Security authorization."

He'd worked at Eddie's Steak Shed for eight years until January, when he bought and took over the restaurant from his wife's sister. It employs about 20 people.

What’s unclear is when or how he would actually be transported back to Mexico. ICE had informed one of his attorneys that it could be as early as Friday.

By cooperating with ICE, Helen said, Roberto hopes to improve his chances of gaining legal status in the U.S. Helen said that the Mexican consulate has told her that, under current laws, Roberto would have to wait 10 years in Mexico before trying to reenter the U.S. She’s heard — and hopes — that there are ways that they could rectify his case sooner than that, thanks to his clean criminal record.

Helen said they’ve been through 10 attorneys in the past 18 years. They’ve often been told they’d have to wait for immigration laws to change.

In 2007, they filed a case to rectify his status since he’s married to a U.S. citizen. That is still pending.

Roberto was apprehended after Trump’s executive order this year that widened the priority for whom, among the reported 1 million people with deportation orders, should be removed.

For her part, Helen says she has gone through the legal immigration process, though in a different way.

She said she flew from her home in Greece to Chicago legally when she was 10, coming with an aunt to visit Helen’s sister. She decided to stay after her visa expired, not fully understanding immigration laws, and went to school in Chicago.

Twelve years later, she flew back to Greece because her dad was fighting cancer. And four months after that, she realized that she couldn’t return to the U.S. because she’d become an illegal immigrant.

So, she said, she flew to Canada and crossed the U.S. border with the driver’s license that she’d obtained when she was 16. She said she also had a Social Security card that was marked “not valid for employment.” It was 1991.

Then in 1993, she made an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Greece, where she came back to Athens, went through some paperwork and gained a legal visa to enter the U.S. In 2002, she said, she gained citizenship.

That was more than 15 years ago. She acknowledged that laws could have changed since then and that the process may not be so easy anymore.

Now she is dealing with calls from around the country, apparently from both Trump supporters and opponents, who say things like, “Well, that’s what you get for voting for Trump.”

She wants all the people who are quick to respond hatefully to consider all of the details.

“There’s a lot of racism out there, and it needs to stop,” she said, adding that skin color “doesn’t make you a killer or a bad person.”

“People need a chance to show who they are,” she said.

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg wrote an online essay, published Tuesday on The Huffington Post, in support of Roberto. And Helen said that representatives from U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly and U.S. Rep. Jackie Walorski have tried to intervene, to no avail.

“What is amazing,” Helen added, is how more than 600 people have signed petitions of support for Roberto, “for someone … who was just another person.”
By eriknben10
What is amazing to me are these people that think our immigration laws only apply to people that commit a serious crime. Why have laws at all if you just ignore them as passed and allow exceptions? Why don't they change the law if this is the route they want?
By Ryan
Sounds to me like Obama and Bush are responsible for Beristain's deportation. It was under previous administrations that he was issued a deportation order. Trump is only executing on a previous order, basically enforcing the law!

So lets say you cut the line at Disney World and then you manage to get seated on the roller coaster and you are ready to ride. When the ride attendant approaches and tells you that you need to get up and get to the back of the line, is he being unfair? He is not being asked to leave the park, or prohibited from riding any more rides, just being sent to the back of the line.

Just because you have been successful after breaking the rules doesn't mean he should be allowed to stay in his seat and enjoy the ride before others that have waited. Do you want to live in a country that allows some to cheat while others obey the rules? Nobody is saying the Beristain is not allowed to come to America, just that he needs to wait in line like everyone else, it's only fair. Would you support Disney's position to protect the hundreds of rule abiding customers from being abused and forced to wait longer, and send him to the back of the line? I know, I know...it's only one guy, who cares the extra wait time is almost unnoticeable, right? Well what if the line was 200 people long and say 20 people cut the line and made it to the front before you, now it starts to become a little clearer that someone needs to take action in the name of fairness.

WE ARE ALL WAITING TO RIDE THE AMERICAN DREAM! Wait your turn, like the generations that came before you, or you'll be removed and sent to the back of the line.
By eriknben10
Speaking of laws. I hope you never need to apply to be the legal guardian of your own adult child. Mental and physical disability or incapacity can involve severe and long-term conditions that impose great limitations upon an individual's ability to take care of themselves, express themselves verbally, earn a living, and live independently of the care of others. I could understand if you were applying to be the legal guardian of someone outside immediate family but your own child that you raised since birth. I guess what I want to share is those of you who may fit the description ought to read up on it before they turn 21. I was kinda shocked.
By Stinky Pete
We weren't disagreeing with any of this. It's a law. Trump has a right to enforce it.

Ryan wrote:Sounds to me like Obama and Bush are responsible for Beristain's deportation. It was under previous administrations that he was issued a deportation order. Trump is only executing on a previous order, basically enforcing the law!

So lets say you cut the line at Disney World and then you manage to get seated on the roller coaster and you are ready to ride. When the ride attendant approaches and tells you that you need to get up and get to the back of the line, is he being unfair? He is not being asked to leave the park, or prohibited from riding any more rides, just being sent to the back of the line.

Just because you have been successful after breaking the rules doesn't mean he should be allowed to stay in his seat and enjoy the ride before others that have waited. Do you want to live in a country that allows some to cheat while others obey the rules? Nobody is saying the Beristain is not allowed to come to America, just that he needs to wait in line like everyone else, it's only fair. Would you support Disney's position to protect the hundreds of rule abiding customers from being abused and forced to wait longer, and send him to the back of the line? I know, I know...it's only one guy, who cares the extra wait time is almost unnoticeable, right? Well what if the line was 200 people long and say 20 people cut the line and made it to the front before you, now it starts to become a little clearer that someone needs to take action in the name of fairness.

WE ARE ALL WAITING TO RIDE THE AMERICAN DREAM! Wait your turn, like the generations that came before you, or you'll be removed and sent to the back of the line.
By Ryan
The tone of the article was passing judgement on Trump for enforcing the law. Implying that he was heartless or ignorant to the plight of the illegal alien (even hintedat racist). I was simply make the case for fairness and placing responsibilty for identifying individuals where it belonged. I don't hear anyone blaming Bush for identifying or Obama for failing to review the identification of the man as someone who was flagged for deportation under their administrations. Bush and Obama was not mentioned in the article. Just Trump was mentioned. Just Trump was tagged as the ogar and racist.

Fairness is the justification for his actions. I am afraid that Trump derangement syndrome is infecting every issue in America today. Since when is it ok for foriegners to break our laws. And since when do we get to call the President racist for enforing the law?

Since Obama, thats when. Worst President ever!
By Phaedrus
I want to know how you cross the border at Niagara Falls by accident. :lol: