By eriknben10
So because they use grants for these programs that are not doing what they were meant to do according to MULVANEY, they should be able to take my money and keep throwing it down the pit? No thanks.

Let me give you some insight. They tried to use my son for one of their lackies to deliver those meals on wheels. They took his stipend from the state and gave him a job that paid $10 hr. yet those running the scam charged 15x that for his service. I won't even go any further because talking about it makes me wanna puke. When the stipend money runs out guess what happens, he lost the job. There is a better way.
By eriknben10
Another one of the scams they put him thru was working at the laundry over at Elwyn. They again took his stipend provided by the state to get him training for a job. Folding towels and wash cloths is not rocket science. It was a piece rate job, My boy preformed between 75% to90% of the projected quota and earned imagine this $10 hr. for that job as well. The so-called trainer (employee of Elwyn) had 6 people she helped to learn the job at the time. Elwyn charged $150 per hr. to his stipend for my son on that job. Add that up $150x6= $900 per hour!! When the stipend ran out once again he was out of a job but was offered work when the new year rolled around and he got his new stipend. Yes let them eat cake alright, just not with the gold diggers posing as supporting the poor/ disabled in charge of the knife!
By JuneCarter
Unfortunately it's the taking advantage of the system that's causing such a distaste for some people.

It's a damn shame because there are a lot of really good programs with generous people giving their time, energy and in a lot of cases, their own money.

Luckily I've had the good fortune to meet enough of those people that I tend to forget the vulchers. Sorry you and your son have had such a tough time.
By eriknben10
I know many as well June. It is very sad that the system is abused and I believe it to be more widespread than just my personal experiences. So much money, very little of it goes to the folks that truly need it. They begged to get him back, I refused to let them continue to use him for huge profit at the expense of the American tax payer, he now volunteers to help deliver meals on wheels 2 hours a day.
By Stinky Pete
JuneCarter wrote:Unfortunately it's the taking advantage of the system that's causing such a distaste for some people.

I don't know anything about Elwyn, or any similar organization. I imagine it takes a lot of money to keep that place running. I don't know where else the money might be coming from. While we just see one person with a $10 job, what all needs to be in place to make that job happen? I'd need more information before I agreed that theres abuse of the system going on.
By JuneCarter
That's awesome! My son can't drive so I'm hoping Communit Transit or the bus token program is still available in a few years. It's not looking good. :cry:
By eriknben10
Stinky Pete wrote:
JuneCarter wrote:Unfortunately it's the taking advantage of the system that's causing such a distaste for some people.

I don't know anything about Elwyn, or any similar organization. I imagine it takes a lot of money to keep that place running. I don't know where else the money might be coming from. While we just see one person with a $10 job, what all needs to be in place to make that job happen? I'd need more information before I agreed that theres abuse of the system going on.

What about the other 5 she was training? Do you think they weren't charged the same as my son? I talked with two other parents that were charged as much in his group. By the way this was only one group, there are many at Elwyn alone. Do you think Elwyn was offering the service of laundry for free? They had no obligation to pay for insurance or any other cost for his service. They operate a sweatshop for profit on the backs of the taxpayer.
By JuneCarter
My son has received really fantastic services through Elwyn. They even came to the house for all of his therapies after his initial consultation.

Again, sorry you and your son had such an unpleasant experience.