I don't know the answer for it's not my field of expertise. You don't know either other than take money from someone who has it and give it to someone who doesn't. That is the only power a government has. Government can't do anything on it's own. No matter how hard we try to dress it up. However I have talked to two people in the business who both believe that the private sector can accommodate the problem if they wanted. Not perfectly but life is not perfect or fair. I realize that's not a reality that everyone wants to concede.
Stinky Pete wrote:A business is going to act in the best interest of its shareholders , unless coerced to do otherwise.

Until every entity involved in healthcare in any form is capped and regulated nothing will work. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Illness and death should not be a commodity.
Boro Friend wrote: Government can't do anything on it's own. No matter how hard we try to dress it up.

That's not true. Governments can set up corporations that operate as arms length regulated monopolies, or directly run by the government. It happens all the time and is particularly suited to industries such as insurance that are established and not complicated; as long as screwing the customer and rewarding shareholders is not your main source of innovation.
It is true although you get an A plus for trying to put lipstick and makeup on the pig. Governments don't start with their own money. Period .Everything they have and do comes from money they took from someone else in order to set up corporations and everything else.