By JuneCarter
AARP comes out against House GOP health care bill - CNNPolitics.com - CNN.com
CNN.com › aarp-american-health-care-act
AMP - 3 hours ago - AARP was a crucial backer of the Affordable Care Act, popularly known as Obamacare, and has repeatedly defended the law over the years. The AARP letter said Obamacare helped strengthen Medicare, and that a tax cut for higher income workers in the American Health Care Act "could hasten" the program's insolvency.
By JuneCarter
From the American Hospital Assoc.:

The letter comes as many health industry groups have issued tepid responses to the bill or stayed silent altogether, while a number of conservative lawmakers and groups have come out in opposition to the GOP proposal in its current form.

The Trump administration and House Republican leaders were on defense Tuesday, the first full day of pitching their plans for health reform.

While opponents have pounced on different parts of the proposal, a sticking point has been a provision that would strike funding for states to expand Medicaid.
By Phaedrus
Stinky Pete wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
Boro Friend wrote: Before Obama care the posit was that 82 % of the American people was satisfied with their health care insurance coverage, providers and doctors .

This is the crux of the argument.

And the rest couldn't get it or couldn't afford it, and were going broke paying out of pocket. 18% (if true) is a big number.

It's complicated. When the polling was done in 2008, 50% of people who did not have health insurance said they were satisfied. People hate Obamacare, but support most of the elements. People don't like the price increases this year, but forget the price increases prior to Obamacare. People are okay with their health insurance because they don't use it most of the time. Many don't know just how under-insured and vulnerable they are until they have a major issue.
By Boro Friend
Single payer is not going to help with any major issue that may and will come up. You can't put a price on life. I agree it is complicated.
By Phaedrus
Boro Friend wrote:Single payer is not going to help with any major issue that may and will come up. You can't put a price on life. I agree it is complicated.

That's just not true. People who live under single payer systems do get help with major issues and at a better rate than our health care system. It's true there are queue-jumpers that go out-of-country for faster service if they can afford it. It's also true there may be first class services available here that are not available in other countries. However, insurance companies put a price on life all the time with the policies they sell. If you are not able to pay the price, you die. And if you are wealthy, you get Cadillac plans. Maybe you would like to discuss HMO rationing?
By Boro Friend
Sorry I don't buy it. I don't trust the government to not impose strict central planning taking healthcare choices out of the hands of patients and their doctors. A system where the government sets the rules and leaves shortages of some services. The government has proven time and time again that they think they need to be all over everything. I have read more than one article where that is exactly the problem in Canada and the United Kingdom. With no competition I see the government setting salaries. You are living in the wrong country and that should not be . Most of the problems over the years ( even before the ACA ) is government intervention including the amount of paper work required to just to get through the day. The problems have escalated since. I also see more deficit spending . Every entitlement program is broke. That's just what it will turn out to be, another entitlement program. What I am really saying is If government can screw it up, they will. I have also read about the long waiting lines where they employ single payer . Many people from all over the globe come to the U.S. to get their health care. That is especially true on major health issues. There is a good reason for that. Despite denial from our friends on the left and from people who see the world differently we have the best health care in the world. That costs money. I have zero faith that a single payer system in the US will really fix any of our problems.

Like I said it is complicated and there is no perfect solution. The only perfect world is yet to come. Be glad to have that discussion with you.
By Phaedrus
You stated that major health issues won't get addressed. That is like saying all these other countries don't perform heart surgery or cancer treatments. It's a lie. I can't have a discussion when those kinds of comments get thrown around.
By Boro Friend
lol ,Sounds like a personal problem to me.