By Stinky Pete
Stinky Pete wrote:
JW wrote:Why do our school children have to walk on Concord Rd down from the 7-11. Why can't they fine the owner for not removing snow before some kid gets hit by a car. Is it too cold for them to leave the office to see what's going on around town?

Why can't they fine EVERY owner in Aston? It's so frustrating. The business across from Aston elementary hasn't cleared snow for at least five years. Can't think of the name right now. Starts with a G.

Geiger Pump
By sandbagger2
Local reps take pipeline issue to the state level
By Bill Rettew, brettew@dailylocal.com, @dailylocal on Twitter
POSTED: 03/19/17, 5:24 AM EDT | UPDATED: 20 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS

WEST GOSHEN >> With several township residents strongly opposing installation of the proposed Sunoco Mariner East 2 pipeline, a pair of elected representatives is fighting to improve safety and a public sharing of the financial bounty generated by pipelines.

Two Chester County elected officials, Sen. Andy Dinniman, D-19, and new Rep. Carolyn Comitta, D-156, have taken the fight to Harrisburg.

Dinniman has been addressing the pipeline issue for five years. While he no longer represents West Goshen Township, he has supported several pipeline bills concerning notification, the financial impact and cost, safety and preserving the environment.

Chester County is home to the third most miles of pipelines in the state.

Advertisement
Comitta wants to make pipelines safer.

“I have a great deal of confidence in local emergency services personnel,” Comitta said. “They are highly dedicated and highly trained and I don’t have a concern about that, but we need additional training. I don’t know what the additional costs would be, but we should find out and support local emergency responders for what they need.”

Dinniman favors legislation that is “safe and respectful” and absorbs the cost impact on communities to get the product to market, Dinniman said. ”Everybody can have their cake and eat it too.”

Comitta represents West Goshen and is part of ongoing state budget discussions.

“Whether or not you support (pipelines), public safety has to be our number one concern.”

Better regulation to improve safety is key.

“Not only is it the right thing to do, but it is part of the Pennsylvania Constitution — clean air, fresh water,” Comitta said.

Dinniman supports taxing pipeline owners.

Last year’s SB-905 would have accessed a real estate tax to support local municipalities and school districts. Pipeline right-of-way would be taxed based on square footage, like conventional homeowners and businesses now are. Twenty other states now levy a fee.

“These companies say they want to be good neighbors,” Dinniman said. “Here is a way to prove it.”

Dinniman said that Chester County is “right in the middle of the way” for shipping Marcellus Shale products to ports in Baltimore, Wilmington and Philadelphia, which then ship product all over the world.

Dinniman also supports charging impact fees based on the price of the product, last year’s bill (SB- 557).

“We’re impacted but there’s no impact fee,” Dinniman said. “There is not one cent of profit from Marcellus Shale (products) and gas unless it gets to market.”

(SB-991) would regulate pipeline company land agents.

Dinniman said that several residents have recounted bad experiences, including late night house calls, sometimes before holidays.

The senator favors registering and creating state IDs for pipeline company representatives. Residents would be able to complain to the state about a registered agent, much like they can with a licensed real estate agent.

“If a person is abusive or gives wrong information then you can file an official complaint.”

A series of Dinniman-favored senate bills (SB- 801, 802, 803 and 804) would guarantee residents are properly notified and educated. Pipeline right-of way seizure by eminent domain would need to be approved by a state agency.

Dinniman also supports protecting agricultural conservation easements with a plan to replace land used for pipelines – acre for acre – like is common with mitigation parks, when property is taken by eminent domain.
By sandbagger2
Official Aston Township Website > Government > Boards, Committees & Commissions > Sunoco Pipeline – Mariner East 2 Project > MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP AND THE MARINER EAST 2 PIPELINE

Middletown Township held a two hour debate on their residents request that the Township consider hiring an outside agency to perform a quantitative risk assessment of the project. At this meeting, Tim Boyce, Delaware County’s new director of Emergency Services and Management was in attendance. Boyce told Middletown Council and Residents they are in the process of developing a study of their own, one focusing on pipeline safety. The County formed a committee which includes input from Sunoco Logistics Boyce has presented his plan to Aston, asked Middletown Council to join and plans to visit Edgemont and Upper Chichester.

The County will not be asking for any fuhding, just input so funds can be allocated toward the emergency plan and first responders. Middletown Council did vote to spend $44,500 to have an outside company (Quest Consultants of Norman, Oklahoma) come do a quantitative risk assessment of the Mariner East 2 plan. The money to pay for the study will not come out of tax payer’s pockets, it will come from the $1.8 ‘million the-‘Township received from Sunoco Logistics for the necessary easements and right of ways. Council will also set aside $100,000 for the risk analysis.
By eriknben10
Sounds like they are making progress in getting their needs met.

On another note, I talked to the guy that owns the rig drilling the pipeline yesterday. The horizontal directional drilling is wire guided. He's from Wyoming and has 21 drills going on this line.
By JW
eriknben10 wrote:Sounds like they are making progress in getting their needs met.

On another note, I talked to the guy that owns the rig drilling the pipeline yesterday. The horizontal directional drilling is wire guided. He's from Wyoming and has 21 drills going on this line.

I think that is what is going on down on Concord Rd on Bell Tells property.
By eriknben10
JW wrote:
eriknben10 wrote:Sounds like they are making progress in getting their needs met.

I think that is what is going on down on Concord Rd on Bell Tells property.

There is one right at the entry/exit of Verizon on Concord if that is what you are talking about.
By eriknben10
sandbagger2 wrote:So the township did get more than the $50K. Wonder why this wasn't mentioned.

Thanks Sandy.
I heard at the one meeting it was around $100 but the exact number was not remembered because it was so long ago. I wonder if that amount was only for the 50'x roughly 300' on the southern side of Gamble Lane. Do you know of any other right-of-way accessed by Sunoco that was township property?
By sandbagger2
Matthew Gordon testified on October 22, 2015 in an Ohio eminent domain case in which Sunoco sought to condemn (seize) private property. Here is an excerpt from the transcript of that testimony.
THE COURT: Counsel, you may inquire.
CROSS EXAMINATION
BY MR. ANDERSEN:
Q You want to go ahead and give us your business address for the record as well?
A 535 Fritztown, one word, F-r-i-t-z-t-o-w-n, Road, in Sinking Spring,
Pennsylvania, 19608.
Q And you're an employee of Sunoco Pipeline LP, correct?
A Yes, sir.
Q And you have -- we've met before. Well, sort of, on Skype, at a
deposition, correct?
A Yes, sir.
Q And so we know some things about you. For instance, you have a
Mechanical Engineering Degree from North Carolina State, correct?
A Yes, sir.
Q You do not have a Master's Degree.
A No.
Q You do not have a Doctorate?
A No.
Q So you have no post-graduate degrees.
A No, just a Bachelor's.
Q Are you a PE, a Professional Engineer, in the state of Ohio?
A No, sir.
Q Are you a Professional Engineer in the state of Pennsylvania?
A No, sir.
Q Do you possess a contractor's license in the state of Ohio?
A No, sir.
Q Do you possess a contractor's license in the state of Pennsylvania?
A No, sir.
Q What do you do for Sunoco?
A My title is Principal Engineer. I am a Project Manager for the
Mariner East pipeline.
Q We talked about this at your deposition, your linked in page says
you're directly responsible for all aspects of NGL pipeline design/
permitting/acquisition and safe construction, is that correct?
A Yes, sir.
Q Is that accurate?
A I believe so.
Q And so you are the project -- can you state your title again for
this particular pipeline?
A Project Manager.
Q Have you ever personally performed an economic impact study on either Pennsylvania or Ohio for the building of the pipeline?
A Personally, no. We hire people to do that for us.
Q You didn't do it personally.
A No, sir.
Q Are you an economist?
A No, sir.
Q Do you have an Economics Degree or any kind of training in Economics?
A I took courses in college but not specifically trained with an
economic emphasis.
Q Do you hold any type of professional certifications?
A Nothing that isn't specific to my field like welding inspection,
credentials for operator qualifications, stuff like that.
Q And you've been with Sunoco for approximately 10 years, correct?
A Yes. In January it will be 10 years.
Q And you've been out of college for about 14?
A Have to do the math -- '03 -- I think I graduated '03, so 12.
Q 12 years. So, is it fair to say you've worked for Sunoco pretty
much your entire professional career?
A More or less. I worked for another company right out of college and I worked for a general contractor before I went to college. So I have hands on experience in addition to education and years of experience in the field.
Q The past 10 years have been with Sunoco?
A Yes, sir.
(Later in Gordon's testimony):
Q Would you call pure ethane petroleum?
A Would I? Yeah.
Q Would you call pure butane petroleum?
A Yes, when they're LPG's, liquefied petroleum, yes, so, yes.
Q When there's a mixture of LPG.
A You're saying pure.
Q I'm saying pure.
A So like when you to the gas station to buy propane it's an LPG. It's marked LPG, liquefied petroleum, yes. So propane when you buy it for your grill is in a liquid phase in that tank.
Q Would you say any component from petroleum is petroleum?
A I don't see why not.
Q Okay. How about arsenic?
A If it's derived from petroleum I guess technically. I'm not a chemist.
Q How about mercury?
MR. BRUNTON: I'm going to object. He's not a chemist.
MR. ANDERSEN: I'm sorry, he's building a pipeline to ship hydrocarbons.
(Still later in Gordon's testimony):
Q I'm going to hand you what's been marked as Exhibit C. This is
Defendant's Exhibit C. I've also taken the liberty of blowing it up.
Do you know what that is?
A Hydrocarbon chain.
Q What hydrocarbon?
A Which specific molecule?
Q Yes.
A I failed Chemistry so -- I didn't fail, I got a D, so I'm going to
guess it's either -- it's not butane, it's not propane so I'm going to
guess it's methane.
Q Okay. So, no. It's ethane.
A Okay.
Q But thank you for not calling that petroleum.