By eriknben10
Thanks for sharing Sandy. There are different types of mud. Which type of mud do all those "may temporary impact" statements refer to?
By sandbagger2
con't

Noticed that when the company reported it, they didn't note the damage to the two properties in Brookhaven. Also, they supposedly only lost 500 gals., but had lost 20,000 gals over the last few days. :evil:

And this is just the beginning.
Attachments
ScreenHunter 68.png
ScreenHunter 69.png
ScreenHunter 70.png
By eriknben10
So I was curious how they took care of these minor accidents and what they do to continue the project. I found out this is nothing new nor is it a uncommon occurrence when drilling for pipelines, wells, utilities or whatever the purpose HDD is needed. They simply contain the area and move forward. They are going to pump the mud from the leaking sight into trucks and take it back to the drilling area to be processed and reused. Amazing they are 100' deep under the creek according to the safety guy I spoke with. Glad they are reporting accidents, cleaning them up and taking care of our environment.
I also got a look at the maps after I asked about how deep they would be in the area where the path thru Linvilla Orchards. They won't be drilling there but instead trenching. How deep I wondered. The minimum cover for the pipe is only 3'.
I also learned that the sewer main running under the creek only 50' away uses the bell siphon system. I wonder how many leaks are in that antiquated system leaching out into the creek? I think about all the sewer pipes leaking into the ground from the old systems that used Orangeburg pipe and terracotta pipe before PVC came along in the late 60s. I've witnessed my share of those being replaced with some having been roto-rootered out numerous times before being replaced. No problem from the so-called environmentalists on that front yet big stink about harmless clay and water mixture. Go figure.
By eriknben10
Thanks for sharing Sandy. Classy ending with the liking of a haircut and the flipping of the bird. :roll:
By sandbagger2
Brookhaven seeks answers about Sunoco spill

Brookhaven resident Beth King questions Sunoco Logistics officials during a Monday night meeting about a bentonite spill in the Chester Creek. More than two dozen citizens attended the meeting to voice concerns over the company’s Mariner East 2 pipeline. LORETTA RODGERS — DIGITAL FIRST MEDIA
By Loretta Rodgers, Times Correspondent
POSTED: 05/23/17, 9:23 PM EDT | UPDATED: 4 SECS AGO 0 COMMENTS

BROOKHAVEN >> More than two dozen residents attended the borough council workshop meeting Monday night in an attempt to get answers about a bentonite spill into the Chester Creek at the beginning of the month.

Approximately 600 gallons of the material, which has been described as cat litter in appearance, spilled into the creek. The lubricant material is being used in horizontal direction drilling that Sunoco Logistics is using in connection with the Mariner East 2 pipeline.

The first incident occurred May 3 when Sunoco was working in the front yards of two homes on Creek Road. The lubricant seeped into the creek via a storm drain. An additional leak of about 30 gallons occurred on May 4, but stayed on the ground. And and six days later, approximately 75 gallons seeped from the creek bed.

Prior to the council meeting, representatives of Sunoco Logistics and the state Department of Environmental Protection met with Brookhaven officials, who were unhappy about not being immediately informed of the leaks.

“I apologize to the borough for not contacting you immediately ... It’s our mistake,” said Jeff Shields, Sunoco Logistics communications manager. Please know that bentonite clay is non-toxic and approved by the PADEP for use in this kind of drilling. It is used to lubricate and cool the drill head ... in this kind of drilling you can get inadvertent returns, which allows the clay to come back up through the hole. We are required by the PADEP to have a plan to respond to inadvertent returns and that is what we did.”

The DEP’s Dominic Rocco, in response to a residents question, stated that a notice of violation was filed against Sunoco Logistics, citing the inadvertent release of bentonite. He added that there were no fines levied.

Sunoco was given five days to clean the spills.

Sunoco representatives and members of borough council said the pipeline will not go directly through the borough, but that did not ease residents concerns.

Brian Barrish asked why borough residents were not notified in writing or via leaflet about the spills. He was told the leaks did not have the kind of detrimental impact that was potentially harmful to the community, and therefore personal notification was not necessary.

“Brookhaven council had no knowledge of this until just recently,” said Mayor Mike Hess. “Our maintenance people went down there and saw the issue and that’s when we started making calls. We found out about it on our own.”

Residents were eventually notified via the borough website, which stated: “Bentonite was pumped to fill any voids created by the drilling and apparently followed a fracture in the rock and started to bubble out.”

Lincoln Drive resident Steve Carr asked questions about potential soil infiltration and whether the ground could have been weakened and eventually result in sink holes.

Christina Johnson questioned both Sunoco and state officials about health risks, especially possible issues due to dust. She was told all actions related to the drilling and the pipeline has been approved the DEP.

“There is no inhalation hazard,” said a representative of the DEP.

Questions were also raised about the impact on wildlife.

Council President John Wilwert Jr. said the borough engineer will inspect the entire area prior to the conclusion of the project.

“We are not just going to say do what ever you want,” Wilwert said. “We are down there and our inspectors are there.”