By eriknben10
I've never been on a diet or any routine food consumption plan but from what I've read about the subject over the years, my habits come close to what is known as the Atkins diet. Basically Meat, fish, potatoes for me. The wilder the better.

The good foods:
Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
Fatty Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
Eggs: The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched or pastured.
Low-Carb Vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
Full-Fat Dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yoghurt.
Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.
The bad foods:

Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, cakes, candy, ice cream, etc.
Grains: Wheat, spelt, rye, barley, rice.
Vegetable Oils: Soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil and a few others.
Trans Fats: Usually found in processed foods with the word “hydrogenated” on the ingredients list.
“Diet” and “Low-Fat” Foods: These are usually very high in sugar.
High-Carb Vegetables: Carrots, turnips, etc (induction only).
High-Carb Fruits: Bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes (induction only).
Starches: Potatoes, sweet potatoes (induction only).
Legumes: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc (induction only).

Having said that, I think everyone should eat what they enjoy and live life like there is no tomorrow! I feel great!
By Stinky Pete
You can't beat heredity. It's going to win. While I don't have a family history of heart disease, I do have a history of dementia. Although I do everything I can to ward it off, I know it will be a losing battle in the end.

Also, I read a lot about the benefits of running. Once you get above 15 miles per week, you're actually doing more harm than good to your heart. The sweet spot is in the 10-15 miles per week. So, I've cut back to that level. When you get to the marathon level, you'd be better off just sitting on the couch.

eriknben10 wrote:When I was a young 20yo, I had an older gentleman 45yo working for me that ran 5 miles in the morning and had what he called a healthy breakfast,lunch, supper, and another 5 mile in the evening. I went to school with his son who also helped out from time to time. He used to preach to us out about what we ate and that we should get more psychical activity. Think of your body as a shrine he would say. Was a sad day when he had a heart attack while jogging and killed over on the spot at 55yo.
By JuneCarter
JW, you have to ask Mrs. W to grab you some Bad Byron's Butt Rub while she's in Florida. Publix and the other markets down South carry it. Best seasoning ever for pork and BBQ chicken or brisket. There another one called Slap Yo Mama that is great on wings, fried chicken, and cast iron steaks.
By Stinky Pete
If losing weight is your goal, I hear that works. For heart health, you need to get your protein and fat from places other than red meat.

eriknben10 wrote:I've never been on a diet or any routine food consumption plan but from what I've read about the subject over the years, my habits come close to what is known as the Atkins diet. Basically Meat, fish, potatoes for me. The wilder the better.

The good foods:
Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
Fatty Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
Eggs: The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched or pastured.
Low-Carb Vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
Full-Fat Dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yoghurt.
Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.
The bad foods:

Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, cakes, candy, ice cream, etc.
Grains: Wheat, spelt, rye, barley, rice.
Vegetable Oils: Soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil and a few others.
Trans Fats: Usually found in processed foods with the word “hydrogenated” on the ingredients list.
“Diet” and “Low-Fat” Foods: These are usually very high in sugar.
High-Carb Vegetables: Carrots, turnips, etc (induction only).
High-Carb Fruits: Bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes (induction only).
Starches: Potatoes, sweet potatoes (induction only).
Legumes: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc (induction only).

Having said that, I think everyone should eat what they enjoy and live life like there is no tomorrow! I feel great!
Last edited by Stinky Pete on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JW
Unfortunately I have an 84 year old mother who is out at Maris Grove and has been begging to die for months. Fell three weeks ago and broke her left wrist, then tree days later fell again while waiting for the nurse to help her to the bathroom. Had an MRI done and she also has a fracture in her right hip, and fractures in her spine. She's in constant pain and we contacted Hospice upon her request. Now she is on morphine every 3-4 hours. I was there yesterday and had to ask the nurse when she had her meds last and asked if she could get more now. She lays there and moans and complains about the pain and just asks god to take her please. Not fun, I have to ride out later, my sisters are there now,
By Stinky Pete
My situation is different. My 92 year old dad is physically healthy, but his mind is gone. He was a big runner. He escaped from his assisted living place a couple times and took off. Now he's so heavily medicated ,that can't happen.
By eriknben10
Stinky Pete wrote:If losing weight is your goal, I hear that works. For heart health, you need to get your protein and fat from places other than red meat.

I've heard that theory as well. My father had his first heart attack when he was 48yo. They claimed he was 75% blocked in one artery. No surgery because at the time you needed 90% blockage for surgery. At that time they told him to cut out eggs, red meat to no more than 3 oz. a day and a list of other things he could do to for his heart. About a week of that and he decided if he couldn't enjoy what he wanted then what was the use. He went back to his old ways. 20 years later he had his 2nd heart attack. At that time they told him he had no blockage whatsoever but that he had a weak heart muscle. In goes a pacemaker. A few years later he had his 3rd, in goes a defibrillator. Mind you the entire time he ate what pleased him. I should mention he's had cancer cut out 3 times during the same time frame. Lost half his colon and piece of his lung. He will be 89 this year and still loves the fat on his steak!
Maybe I should get a checkup some day so they can tell me what I need to live a happy, healthy life.
By Stinky Pete
eriknben10 wrote:. About a week of that and he decided if he couldn't enjoy what he wanted then what was the use.

That makes sense to me at some level. On the other hand, I see people suffering from a life of poor diet, drinking, smoking, and inactivity. Not sixty years old yet, bypass surgery five years ago, diabetes out of control, toes amputated, vision and hearing bad, kidneys shot, dialysis every other day. In and out of the hospital. It's not like you just enjoy your life until the big heart attack comes. My sister in law describes it as "suicide in slow motion".