By Phaedrus
Think small? :lol:

Steel is a global industry transformed by technology. I'm going to guess that the experts in the field know a lot more than you or me about how to run their business, but I'm pretty sure the answer is not cheaper coal and more pollution. Coal is not our future.

All industry is adopting new technologies that require fewer but smarter workers and those workers are being paid better. Unfortunately we have a lot of people who think it's all about trade and we'll do better if we just restrict competition. Old thinking that has been proven wrong.
Well technological change is an irresistible factor on which I believe we can compete. But today we are a major importer of steel and iron. We are number 3 in the industry behind China and Japan. Economic trends and are always an issue. .I am not trying to over simplify but instate a can do mentality. The experts can and will figure it out when you get out of their way. Sorry but to say we can't be number 1 or do better than we are doing is small thinking.
Last edited by Boro Friend on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Phaedrus
Boro Friend wrote:Well technological change is an irresistible factor on which I believe we can compete. But today we are a major importer of steel and iron. We are number 3 in the industry behind China and Japan. Economic trends and issues are always an issue. .I am not trying to over simplify but instate a can do mentality. The experts can and will figure it out when you get out of their way. Sorry but to say we can't be number 1 or do better than we are doing is small thinking.

I'm not in their way. The fact of the matter is, if someone wants to sell me cheaper steel that will make my products more competitive, I'm all for it.

Please tell me why steel should be given special consideration? It's just another input.
Phaedrus wrote:
Boro Friend wrote:Well technological change is an irresistible factor on which I believe we can compete. But today we are a major importer of steel and iron. We are number 3 in the industry behind China and Japan. Economic trends and issues are always an issue. .I am not trying to over simplify but instate a can do mentality. The experts can and will figure it out when you get out of their way. Sorry but to say we can't be number 1 or do better than we are doing is small thinking.

I'm not in their way. The fact of the matter is, if someone wants to sell me cheaper steel that will make my products more competitive, I'm all for it.

Please tell me why steel should be given special consideration? It's just another input.

I was talking about the government getting in the way. Don't take it personal but it's not all about you. I almost forgot you parse every word. I don't know anything about special considerations. The President is simply telling everyone in his own way that it's going to be ok to do business in the U.S. once again without government holding their hands so tightly. That message hasn't been lost on the job creators. That's why all the optimism.
50 plus wrote:Report from 2016 a leading output of steel in millions of metric tons

China. 804
Japan. 105
India 89
US. 79
Russia. 71

I'd say we need a really YUGE can do attitude!

Proves my point. That's how far we have fallen. And that's just one industry.