By Stinky Pete
I wish I could find the thread from a couple years ago where I said most people weren't going to pay close to $50K for this car.

General Motors called a media report describing the Chevrolet Volt as a major money loser “grossly wrong.”

Reuters estimated that GM is losing as much as $49,000 on every Volt, but the automaker said the wire service’s calculations ignored that development costs are typically spread out among all vehicles sold over the course of the model’s lifetime.

GM has acknowledged it’s losing money on the Volt, but won’t say how much. But GM argued that its investment will pay off over time as Volt sales accelerate and the cost of the extended-range electric/generator powertrain comes down and is offered in other models over time.

The car, which can travel up to 38 miles on a battery charge before a gasoline-powered generator kicks in, has missed GM’s original sales targets for 2012. Yet sales are picking up after some dealers started offering a cheap lease, California certified that single drivers can drive the Volt in carpool lanes. Chevrolet sold 2,831 Volts last month, its strongest month since its launch.

Reuters wrote that “the loss per vehicle will shrink as more are built and sold.”

“Every investment in technology that GM makes is designed to have a payoff for our customers, to meet future regulatory requirements and add to the bottom line,” GM said in a statement. "The Volt is no different, even if it takes longer to become profitable.”

It’s the latest in a series of publicity challenges for the Volt, which conservatives have criticized as the Obama-mobile, despite the fact that it was in the works years before Barack Obama considered running for the White House. The car was first introduced as a concept vehicle in January 2007, two years before Obama took office, and was first sold in fall 2010.

Sales of gasoline-electric hybrids that don’t need to be recharged have risen 65% this year through August to 278,680, led by Toyota’s family of Prius models, which accounted for 57% of that market segment.
Yet we never read about how much the other countrys they employ around the globe contributed to there failure/bailout.
Another great experiment. The result of the government backed hype of the theory on global warming.Electric cars. What a scam! The funniest part is the tree huggers fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
By yen09
I have read from an article that the “cheap Chevy Volt lease” situation might repeat itself, but there are a few hurdles in the way. For one, GM idled production, partially to make the new Impala and partially because they aren’t selling too many. The General may hold off on making more until supplies start to dwindle. Some may have noticed that Volt sales have doubled since last year, so it is growing on people.