By c_yatsuk
Phaedrus wrote:What is the difference between two blocks and 10 blocks away? Would you like to draw up some legislation to curtail religious freedom? Maybe have a system of religious apartheid?

Frankly, I feel that the speaker you posted does not want to see a single mosque built anywhere in America. I have to assume that since you think the guy hit the nail on the head, that you support that position. If not, please let us know.

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy....

There is a difference between 2 blocks and 10 blocks. The difference of putting a mosque "right there" is a symbol of victory for the terrorists (see above post from paesano refrencing what I've said on mutliple occasions). 10 block, ugh.. not so much. As for my stance on religious freedom, I believe the constitution says it best. I feel no need to copy what it says. I will however enjoy a good debate on it though... because I believe it allows Americans to practice whatever religion they feel represents their (spritual) beliefs the most; or freedom of or protection from religion; or a persons right to be atheist.

Oh, and yes... I have the courage of my convictions :D And no, I dont feel it can nor should be banned--the Muslim faith/religion in America.
The Center for Security Policy today unveiled a powerful 1-minute video opposing the construction of a 13-story, $100 million mega-mosque near the hallowed ground of the World Trade Center.

The twin towers were destroyed on 9/11 by adherents to the barbaric, supremacist and totalitarian program authoritative Islam calls “Shariah.” And the imam who is promoting this mosque has publicly declared that he seeks to “bring Shariah to America.”

Shariah’s followers have long built mosques on the most sacred sites of those they have conquered; for example, on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount, at Constantinople/Istanbul’s St. Sophia Basilica, and in Cordoba, Spain, the capital of the occupying Moors’ Muslim kingdom.

A growing chorus of New Yorkers and other Americans, including, notably, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, have expressed outrage at the prospect of a similar, permanent beachhead for Shariah being use to defile ground zero, and symbolize America’s defeat at the hands of her enemies.

We say, “No Mosque at Ground Zero.”
By Phaedrus
Hate-mongering. We have a lot of major issues to deal with, but this is the wedge issue that the right is using to drive up the anger. How long do we have to put up with these a-holes? Let's deal with real issues and solutions, not hate filled sideshow.
Remember Sarajevo.
Islam allows husbands to hit their wives even if the husbands merely fear highhandedness in their wives.

In 2004, Rania al—Baz, who had been beaten by her husband, made her ordeal public to raise awareness about violence suffered by women in the home in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi television aired a talk show that discussed this issue. Scrolling three—fourths of the way down the link, the readers can see an Islamic scholar holding up sample rods that husbands may use to hit their wives.

The Quran says:

4:34 . . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great. (MAS Abdel Haleem, the Qur'an, Oxford UP, 2004)
By paesano
Islam commands that a male and female thief must have a hand cut off.

The reader should never lose sight of the fact that this punishment is prescribed in the Quran, the eternal word of Allah. It does not exist only in the fevered imagination of a violent and sick radical regime like the Taliban, which once ruled in Afghanistan.

A Saudi cleric justifies chopping off hands here.

The Quran says:

5:38 Cut off the hands of thieves, whether they are male or female, as punishment for what they have done—a deterrent from God: God is almighty and wise. 39 But if anyone repents after his wrongdoing and makes amends, God will accept his repentance: God is most forgiving and merciful. (Haleem)
Phaedrus wrote:Christianity allows men to beat and rape their wives as well. Men have beaten women throughout history in every culture. It is the secular legal system that prevents it.

Christianity doesn't allow men to beat up on women. There may men who beat up on women and somehow attempt to justify it, but your statement is outrageous as well as incorrect.
First of all, of all the major religions in the world, the one I dislike most is Islam. However, while Christianity does not proscribe beatings for women it has no restrictions either. It does allow for it and all you have to do is look at the witch trials to see church sanctioned oppression of women.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you belong to a church that limits the role of women; where women aren't allowed to teach men, preach in the services, teach their own male children about religion, or hold any sort of authority over men.

Or maybe that was Norton.