By paesano
Yes folks more snow! Thursday night into Friday morning! DON”T PANIC LOL
Updates will continue….

Anyone with school closing or delays please post…
By JuneCarter
You beat me to it, Paesano!

More snow on way Thursday-Friday
Published: Tuesday, January 18, 2011

There is good news on the weather front. Temperatures have risen and most of the ice is now just a bad, slushy memory.

The bad news? There is more snow on the way, with that new favorite term of the forecasters - a 'plowable snow' - looming for Thursday night into Friday morning. And just to keep up the pattern, meterologists see another storm due next week.

Temperatures across most of the region are rising into the upper 30s, making mince meat out of all that ice that created traffic nightmares this morning. The temperatures are not expected to drop enough for any serious icing overnight.

But winter isn't anywhere near being over yet, not by a long shot. Brace yourself for the possibility of more snow Thursday night.

Here's the latest forecast from the National Weather Service:

THIS AFTERNOON:RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTH WINDS

5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

TONIGHT:

CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS IN THE

LOWER 30S. WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

WEDNESDAY:

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING...THEN PARTLY SUNNY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER

40S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 30 PERCENT.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT:MOSTLY CLEAR IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING

PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

THURSDAY:

PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS

5 TO 10 MPH.

THURSDAY NIGHT:CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW

SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S.

FRIDAY:

CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY. A

50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

FRIDAY NIGHT:PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS AROUND 15.

SATURDAY:

PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S.

SATURDAY NIGHT

PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE.

SUNDAY

PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S.

SUNDAY NIGHT

PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 15 TO 20.

MONDAY

MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

www.delcotimes.com
By paesano
What is your guess on how many inches of snow? I will guess 7
By JuneCarter
Since I've not been right yet, I'm gonna go with that trend and just say we are going to get some snow. (Now maybe it won't snow at all :D )
By astmom1234
'2-hour delay': Haunting words for for working parents
While students may get some extra sleep when school is delayed two hours, parents are sometimes left with a decision that causes them to lose sleep.

Depending on their children’s age, the parents have to either find a place for children to go for two hours, call in sick from work or call the school district and tell them the child is sick. And not all parents have those options.

“It’s much easier to allow a child to stay home, rather than have them go in a couple of hours late,” Raeleah Caffrey, a single mom who lives in the Upper Darby School District, said Tuesday. “For me, being a single mother with no other adult to rely on, it’s a lot of income to lose because I work solely on commission.”

While Upper Darby was out of school due to the early-morning ice conditions Tuesday, it had a two-hour delay during last week’s snow storm.

“I missed a day of work so I could get her to school,” Caffrey said. “The only other possible thing to do is lie and then take them to work with you.”

Caffrey said the biggest challenge is when the school delay or cancellation call comes early in the morning.

“If they call us at 11 or even 12 at night, that gives us some reasonable time to call somebody and get some help,” Caffrey said. “Otherwise, we take our kids to work with us. I’ve heard a lot of other parents voice the same irritation about it.”

But it’s not always a cut and dry decision on whether to close schools or call for a one- or two-hour delay.

“All in all, our parents were very understanding,” Veronica Crisp, who owns and operates the five Step By Step Learning Center and Child Care facilities in Delaware County, said. “We normally open at 6 a.m., so today we opened at 8 a.m. We have five buses and five vans that we have to get cleaned off. And we have parents carrying these big carriers, so we have to make sure the lot is ice free.”

One reason for Upper Darby’s decision to close rather than have a delay is that the high school and middle schools are in the midst of midterm exams. Upper Darby also has more than 100 buses.

“Opening late for midterms can be a big headache,” Crisp said. “And I know they have a lot of buses.”

Some other parents have a situation that is easier to manage. If the children are home a little longer, it’s a chance to get some work done around the house.

“I just use the time to get chores done,” Cathy Ahearn said via Facebook. “I did two loads of laundry, put a pot roast in the slow-cooker, ran the vacuum and gave the bathroom a quick scrub. Booyah! Extra time for ME tonight since I won’t have to do these tasks later when the kids are in bed.”

The task of clearing out the mix of snow and ice was not easy for many Delaware County residents. In fact, Joan McGonigle, of Springfield, can’t seem to escape the bad weather as she just returned from Florida.

“There was snow even in Florida last week, so I was going to leave Tuesday, but didn’t get back until Friday,” McGonigle said. “I wish I was there now.”

McGonigle said she takes her father to Florida where he spends the winter months.

Tom DiSciullo had to spend time Tuesday morning shoveling the icy mix, rather than using a snow blower. Along with his driveway and sidewalks, his brother Joe was cleaning off the driveway and sidewalks of a neighbor who is unable to do that kind of physical labor.

“We try to help out as much as we can,” he said. “We try to be nice to everybody.”

Unlike last week’s light and fluffy snow, the ice wasn’t as nice to the arm muscles.

“I’m doing this since I don’t have to work today,” DiSciullo said. “This is good exercise though. They said it was coming and they were right.”

When snow comes for Springfield’s Michelle Morroni, it can be a double dose of bad news. Morroni lives at an intersection at a bottom of a hill. That means sometimes the snow is plowed up against her driveway.

“It happens all the time,” she said. “Our driveway is right in line with where the snowplow goes. Sometimes I’m out here and can get them to plow it back away from us.”

Morroni, like most other people, is already looking forward to warmer weather.

“I’m ready for everything to do with spring,” she said. “Everything.”

The weather played a part in two accidents that jammed traffic in two areas of the county Tuesday morning. At about 8:50 a.m., a car collided with a tractor-trailer just north of the Delaware state line on Interstate 95.

Also, an accident in Chadds Ford on Route 1 just south of Route 202 forced a road closure in the morning.

According to Steve Sansoni, PennDOT’s Delaware County highway maintenance engineer, about 2,000 tons of salt was used on Delaware County highways spread by its 69 trucks.
By paesano
paesano wrote:Yes folks more snow! Thursday night into Friday morning! DON”T PANIC LOL
Updates will continue….

Anyone with school closing or delays please post…

2-4 inches of snow is what I'm hearing!
By JAZZRGIRL
Another 2 hr delay would be nice! I'm still waiting for the "big blizzard"!!!

JAZZRGIRL :wink:
By paesano
Is it true when there is a Blizzard that Dairy Queen opens up? I loves me a Oreo Cookie Blizzard. :)
~P