By Virginia Fitzpatrick
from Left to Right: School Board Candidates Pearl Smith, Ted Mason, Pamela Assenmacher, Susan Morrison-Bellamy, Denise Ashe, Ken Christovich, Maggie Roddin and moderator Barbara Sherf.

[video width=600 height=250]http://home.comcast.net/~vff63/ENRO/DSCN0804.jpg[/video]

Wanting to know more about the Norristown Area School District (NASD) School Board I went to the Candidates Forum on May 5th sponsored by the League of Women voters, and the East and West Norriton residents associations. There was good but not overwhelming attendance. On May 19 we must vote for 4 among the 8 candidates at the forum running for the school board. The candidates took turns answering about a dozen questions posed by the audience. On several questions there seemed to be general agreement. Moving fifth grade children from elementary to middle school led to lower scores for those students and most candidates agreed that they should be put back in the elementary school. Ken Christovich expressed concern over the longer bus rides 5th graders had to make to go to the middle schools. All Candidates agreed on the importance of music and art education, English as a second language classes and more State and Federal funding for special needs children.

There was a contrast between incumbents Pearl Smith, Denise Ashe plus newcomers Pamela Assenmacher, Susan Morrison-Bellamy and three of the other candidates: Ted Mason, Ken Christovich, and Maggie Roddin about the cost effectiveness of past and future plans for the school district. The NASD defenders (Smith, Ashe, Assenmacher and Bellamy) claimed that although the public perception of the NASD was “a little blurred” the schools are exceptionally good and that the School Board had made all possible reductions to the school budget. I got impatient with the platitudes often repeated by this group e.g “ we must provide a quality education for our kids”, “salaries should be reasonable” “ we should have community imput”. Who doesn’t know that?

Of the group of NASD challengers (Mason, Christovich and Roddin) Ted Mason was the most specific, probably because he has worked for local industries and as a substitute teacher in Northern Montco. He reminded the incumbents on the board that tax payers are stressed by the 65% increase in local school property taxes while the average salary in the district has only increased 15% over the last decade. He pointed out that while there are outstanding students in the NASD, the lower performing half of students have brought down the districts PSAT scores. The low scores have negatively affected property values. Home buyers with children look at the PSAT scores and the NASD does not compare favorably with neighboring school districts.

When asked about negotiating teacher’s salaries and their attitude toward current salaries, Assemmacher and Bellamy claimed we should find a solution that is agreeable to everyone. It should be a win-win situation. Ashe claimed unions protect workers so we can get the best education. The curmudgeon in me believed Challenger Maggie Roddin when she said that everyone thinks they are underpaid and that no one will get exactly what they want from Teacher Union negotiations. Both Roddin and Mason said there needs to be a correlation between pay and outcomes.

There was concern about the cost of charter schools. Pearl Smith said the Charter Schools and the transportation costs were underfunded. Ken Christovich suggested that we reduce the usage of charter schools and their costly transportation commitments by bringing the students back to regular schools. Maggie Roddin claimed the district was spending lots of money on charter schools because people did not want their kids in the NASD. I have neighbors who like their local elementary school and others who are afraid to send their children there. One even sold his house, because of uncontrolled bullies.

The “defender candidates” irritated me most when they just made vague replies about more community input in response to a simple, specific question, which was: “Presently the public is only allowed to speak at the beginning of school board meetings. Will you change this to allow the public to comment on issues before they are decided?” Again Ted Mason was to the point saying he would allow dialog after each board agenda item discussion and before the vote. (East Norriton Township supervisors do that). Maggie Roddin was more colorful and far flung in her answer: “ The Prime Minister of Britain interacts with parliament as meetings go on - we should too.”

I have seen both encouraging and discouraging aspects of our local schools. I am not sure what is the norm. Since I do not have a school age child, I do not have as much first hand experience as many of my neighbors. Since we have a democracy the incumbents will be re-elected if most parents are satisfied with the schools otherwise they will not. I just hope I have given a feel for the general attitudes expressed by the candidates and that people will care enough to vote.
Last edited by Virginia Fitzpatrick on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
(All names are monikers for bloggers)

On June 20 Max started the topic Your School Taxes at work on the GoNorristown online forum. His first two posts linked to YouTube Videos showing kids rapping inside the gym lobby of Norristown High School. While the kids made clever dance moves, most of us found the talk about rape, murder, shooting cops, bitches and hoes very offensive. This led to a discussion of the behavior that goes on in the school. East Norriton resident (24 years) Ken Christovich is running for school board and so the topic attracted his attention. Raised Catholic, Mr. Christovich was appalled by the nastiness expressed in the videos and so he brought them to the attention of the NASD administration. They in turn contacted the parents. The parents shared Mr. Christovich's sentiments and had the videos and others like them taken down.

A few apologists argued that the videos are a form of art and that art often offends. I argued that even something considered art can have a terrible message that tax payers rightly don't want to sponsor. On June 24 Kolb24 dryly responded
" I guess the content of the video was so artful that it has been removed from youtube "
Our ultimate art critic - Phaedrus - puts the kibosh on the debate:
Do you really think these kids could coherently argue in favor of what they are saying? The best they could say is, "My world and welcome to it", or "true for me". That may have some experiential validity, and we can view it as a canary in a coal mine, but the content is without thought and reeks of social conformity.

I was encouraged to learn that our school board candidate Ken Christovich, the NASD administration and the parents were concerned enough to take immediate action. But in some ways removing those video's may be like sweeping the dirt under the rug, if action is not taken to change the lack of respect reflected in them. Other posters on this board (but not all) shared similar views:

- Phaedrus : The kids will be suspended or expelled or the problem otherwise "taken care of" and ignored.

- Max: I still think the school needs to monitor what goes on better and not let these types of videos to be shot on school property.
The tax payers should be very [concerned] that their money is going down the proverbial drain.

- WilDeA: They have made a mockery of their place of learning.... But where is the receptionist? A guard? a teacher? anyone?

- MzPaula speculates: Perhaps the teachers, receptionists or security didn't find their performances offensive.

- Phillies2008champs: It's a shame that society has sunk this low.

Max seems to have pushed a button in Norristown. His topic has received over a thousand hits and still counting. Mr. Christovich has assured us that, if elected, he will make sure the District enforces the rules in place with regard to such assembly and expressions.
There was a moment of silence to mark the passing of School Director Edward C. Ward, who had served diligently on the board for 10 years. The vacant seat on the board will be filled by the board from those nominated. Interested residents from the district must submit their application including resume to Board Secretary Kathy Lally by Sept 30th. Call her at 610-630-5010 for more information. All Candidates will be interviewed and the new board member chosen on October 7th.
By What about?
Which 20th century political party had the following two items in their platform? I am sure this party is very familiar to most people over 30 years old.

20. In order to make higher education—and thereby entry into leading positions—
available to every able and industrious citizen, the State must provide a thorough
restructuring of our entire public educational system. The courses of study at all
educational institutions are to be adjusted to meet the requirements of practical
life. Understanding of the concept of the State must be achieved through the
schools (teaching of civics) at the earliest age at which it can be grasped. We
demand the education at the public expense of specially gifted children of poor
parents, without regard to the latter’s position or occupation.

21. The State must raise the level of national health by means of mother-and-child
care, the banning of juvenile labor, achievement of physical fitness through
legislation for compulsory gymnastics and sports, and maximum support for all
organizations providing physical training for young people.
Reporter Carl Rotenberg’s puff piece in the Times Herald http://www.timesherald.com/articles/200 ... 363174.txt
about newly appointed NASD board member Pamela Assenmacher belies the feelings among many residents in attendance at the school board’s selection committee meeting last week. Given the results, many believe the process was a charade to make the selection appear open to the public, when in reality, the board always intended to chose the PASS candidate. Most of the candidates for appointment had impressive academic and professional credentials. Assenmacher's family like some of those who seek a position on the board has school age children attending NASD schools. She very much wants to protect their interests. During her presentation she gave the usual platitudes about increased community involvement and supporting the great NASD programs. While she has been involved in school parent groups, she conveyed no significant achievements. Her qualifications were stronger than two of the other eight candidates, but there were at least three other candidate that would have brought fresh thinking much needed by the NASD about budgeting, student social problems, and the process of educating students. While spending about $17,000 per student, more than half of grade 11 students at NHS did not pass the PSSA exams for their grade level last year.

The district has severe budgeting difficulties and will soon be faced with tough union negotiations with both their teaching and service staffs. Assenmacher said she had some contract negotiations with clients. Big whoopy. So have I, but that does not prepare one for complex union negotiations. Another Candidate Ken Christovich has extensive experience as an advisor to large union contract negotiations, which worked out well for both sides. When asked about how she would balance the budget Assenmacher repeated the PASS candidates vague platform statements about finding a balance between the needs of students and taxpayers. Ken Christovich suggested that it was high time the district extend Zero-Based_Budgeting to all departments in the district. (For details on Zero BB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-based_budgeting) The district had finally begun that approach for three of the departments last year. They discovered the district had 8 teachers with no current assignments and used them to fill vacancies saving the district considerable sums. Christovich pointed out that Zero Based Budgeting has saved the Colonial School District millions. Since Zero based budgeting is challenging, I believe Ken Christovich’s corporate experience with budgeting is much needed by the board. Nevertheless Ms. Pearce hostilely questioned the feasibility of such an approach. Many of us in East Norriton suspect the current board doesn’t want close scrutiny of their financial records.

Another Candidate for appointment – Robb Faller - perked me up from the doldrums created by all the vague feel-good statements with his portrayal of problem students in his pastoral care as a Methodist minister. He and his wife care for foster children in Norristown. He is proud that he has been able to help these children improve their grades by checking their homework and working with teachers. Having a degree in Psychology and Sociology he teaches parenting classes to help others in his parish achieve the same result with their kids. He talked about animosity towards teachers common in his district and what he has been doing to change that. Based on the poor performance on the PSSA, the NASD certainly needs Mr. Faller’s proven abilities.

Sue Christiansen was also a superior candidate. She had run and been elected previously to the school board four times, which is a strong indication that she represents the interests of local residents. Sue recited a long list of impressive awards for her service on the School Board.

The school board and the PASS slate of candidates are remaining quiet on PASS candidate Assenmacher’s impending resignation should she win an elected position this November. It is too late for her name to be removed from the ballot . If she does win, she will have to resign her elected seat and thus allow the PASS clique to appoint another one of their own. While I voted for Democratic candidates the last 8 years, I want someone of either party that is not part of the PASS clique elected to the NASD board, someone with proven skills who will take a fresh look at the financial records and the district’s approach to education.
Last Saturday I attended a public forum sponsored by the Norristown chapter of the NAACP and a parent-teachers group. The Forum presented all the candidates for the NASD School Board Election Nov 3rd. The PASS Slate of candidates included – Denise Ashe, Pearl Smith, Pamela Assenmacher and Susan Morrison-Bellamy. The COMMON SENSE Slate included Ted Mason, Ken Christovich, and Maggie Roddin. About 50 members of the public showed up.

I am sorry that I arrived late and did not hear the entire discussion. However, I was told that there was a variety of opinions about the continued use and maintenance of the football stadium at Roosevelt High School that did not split along Slate lines. If anyone has more detail, please let us know. All candidates did seem to agree that the district should look into the benefits of having uniforms in all the school since uniforms seemed to be working well at Eisenhower. While all candidates also agreed that teaching English as a second language was vital to the School district, Ken Christovich and Ted Mason suggested that community groups and parents should also participate in the effort for adults as well as their kids to learn English.

When asked what they would cut from the budget to save money, all candidates said they would look at the budget as a whole. Maggie Rodden pointed out that Abraham Lincoln had very little schooling, but the PASS candidates seem to believe that the public school is the only path to success. Candidate Morrison-Bellamy told me that we need to have compulsory education year round and with longer hours. When over half the students in Norristown High School fail the PSSA as they did last year, you will hear the incumbent PASS Candidates talk endlessly of language problems, disadvantaged students and lack of parent participation. However, they take full credit for the students that are high achievers – little mention is made of the role of the parents and the extra initiative of the student herself in that success. For love, I spent a summer daily tutoring my young neighbor who was doing poorly in EN Middle School Math. She was so much fun to teach, I was shocked when she told her mother that I was very patient. She required no patience whatsoever. So what is going on in our schools? She got straight A’s in NHS advanced math after that and I don’t doubt that the school took full credit.

Having attended the School Board meeting where the NASD Board (heavily populated with PASS candidates) appointed Pamela Assenmacher to the school board, I was angry to see Assenmacher taking up very valuable time presenting herself as a candidate for still another position on the Board. Legally she can’t hold two position, but if she wins she then must resign one of her two positions and that will allow the PASS clique to appoint still another one of their own. Some of us believe the public would want another elected candidate in that position instead of another appointee. When asked by several members of the public if Assenmacher would remove herself from the ballot, the board said they could not do so because the ballots were already printed. They let us believe that was the only reason Assenmacher would not resign from the campaign. Many of us were very disappointed at the meeting that the board passed over other candidates for Assenmacher.

The Board is controlled by an inside clique led by Jan Pearce. I am not the only one that would like someone from outside that clique looking at school budgetary records. Former Board member, Ed Ward, played that role, but he passed away this summer after many years of devoted service to the board. As it is, current school board members often have to recuse themselves because of conflicts of interests. Ken Christovich claims that 70% of his request for information have not received a response. I have had similar frustration with questions. There are many I have not asked because I am pretty sure I would be brushed off. The board members are very good at not responding and keeping the audience quiet. Then they go on endlessly about more community participation i.e. they want us to tell them how wonderful they are. They don’t want us to ask critical questions. I know there are problems with the district but I don’t know the magnitude of various causes; that is why I have been going to board meetings. Unless more outsiders get elected I probably won’t go to more board meetings because it would be a waste of time. All I would get is their propaganda. Many of my neighbors have already come to that conclusion – so its no wonder board meetings are not attended. The COMMON SENSE candidates have pledged to make board meetings more open and responsive to the public.
Last edited by Virginia Fitzpatrick on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Virginia Fitzpatrick
As I said above, School board chairman Jan Pearce told me in no uncertain terms I was wrong about merit pay and that the board was going to continue their current system of basing pay on years of experience and education credits as demanded by the teacher's union. Today I read an article in the New York Times by C. Kent Mcguire

These training and experience factors, by themselves, turn out to be fairly weak predictors of effectiveness. The real challenge is identifying the knowledge and skills that align with our educational goals and accurately measuring whether teachers possess and demonstrate these skills. Even if a formal certificate or degree is highly aligned with our goals, there is no substitute for well-designed performance appraisal systems that directly assess whether teachers are efectively using the knowledge and skill thought to be associated with increasing student learning. Most districts, I fear, do a mediocre job of assessing performance, especially once tenure has been achieved. The good news is we have ways of knowing when teachers have acquired the competence and skills we value.

Now why would we expect Mr. McGuire to know more about this subject than our School board chairman? He is only the dean of the Temple University College of Education. (Excuse my sarcasm).

Kent McGuire is also on the Board of Directors for The New Teacher Project (TNTP) that was formed in 1997 to address the growing issues of teacher shortages and teacher quality throughout the country.

The New Teacher Project believes that the fundamental structures, policies and institutions that influence teacher quality (from certification providers to district Human Resources offices to collective bargaining agreements) must align with the goal of maximizing teacher quality in high-need schools.
By Virginia Fitzpatrick
Wish the clique that controls the NASD school board would take note of Jeffrey Canada’s Harlem’s Children’s Zone presented by CBS TV SHOW - 60 Minutes - last Sunday. While his ideas about longer school hours would have been a disaster for the kids I grew up with, it seems to be needed for children at risk. I think more residents in our school district would support these programs, if we were convinced it would end the cultural practices that put children at risk in the first place. Given millions of dollars in private industry support, Canada's schools are taking over the role of parents. Still 4 of his kids were shot last year and he warns it could happen again at any time. Even with all the problems his 1200 students have, he holds teachers accountable and will fire any teacher that does not help him met his goal. His students are achieving. Meanwhile the NASD school board just passes the buck for the large percentage of NASD students who are failing, claiming all their teachers are good. The backers of the Board think spending much money on bussing kids to more suburban schools will solve their problems. Has it? Will it? Based on observations, many of my neighbors White and Black are so scared of the kids bussed in, they are scrapping together for private school tuition.

Click here for Children's Zone on 60 minutes