When the horrible floods struck the Mid-West this week, I wondered if my Sister-in-Law, Colleen, would be involved. She is Director of Emergency Services of the Great Bay New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross. That obviously is a long ways from the Mid-West. However, when I wrote her this week to ask, she immediately replied

Hi, Virginia. Yes, so many of the Mid-West volunteers are working in their own chapters, and exhausted, that volunteers from both coasts are needed to help. Every chapter I work with has sent at least a few volunteers. I have two out, and two more waiting for assignments doing damage assessment when the waters recede.

We generally use new blankets in the shelters. While many people have clean bedding to offer, I know that in one large fire response near here, cleaning up the warehouse from the critters that came in on donated bedding and clothing was a major undertaking.

Clothing has the same risk. We also give money instead of donated clothing because it gives people choice and makes them feel less like victims; and because spending that money helps rebuild the local economy. In general, we try to give in-kind when something just isn’t available in the local economy in the numbers needed (sometimes clean-up materials can be in short supply, so we give out clean-up kits), and money when it is.

We’re bracing now for the second wave. Volunteers who’ve gone out for two weeks are needing to be replaced, and, of course, the water is moving into new communities. And we’re all painfully aware that hurricane season is here. Gonna be a long summer.

Colleen

I assume that PA volunteers are also involved. If you want to make a donation to help our fellow hard working citizens send a check payable to "American Red Cross" at PO Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340-2018 or try their web site @ click for Red Cross

Meanwhile, I am trying NOT to imagine what polluted mud and water coming through the front door would do to us still here on dry land.